Monday, March 14, 2011

How I Go to the Woods
by Mary Oliver

Ordinarily I go to the woods alone, with not a single
friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
unsuitable.

I don't really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible, I can sit
on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.

***
If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love
you very much.

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Oh my gosh. What a GORGEOUS poem... And look at those adorable frogs and their spawn turning into tadpoles before our eyes!

I wish I could take a walk in the woods with you. I promise I'd be quiet... :)

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice selection, it looks like frog eggs in that shot also.

Judy said...

That is a beautiful poem...When Jim and I walk through the woods we won't say anything, we just take in the sounds and sights.

LBB said...

Beautiful...I think I know exactly the feeling. A great reason to take a walk alone.To be
invisible allows you to see so much more.

And...
Alors gentil à vous de proposer votre aide dans l'apprentissage du français à nouveau. J'ai triché et utilisé Google Translate pour écrire ce trop vous! HA! HA! Donc beaucoup de travail devant moi!
I hope that even translated correctly!!

Dawn said...

Wonderful. I have never read this poem before....and it's lovely. My new "mantra";)
What a cute picture! Were you alone when you took that?:)

Nancy said...

My feelings exactly. Awesome froggy fotos! :)

Full-On-Forward said...

Allison--I could live in the woods with a Camera. I would go to the woods with you anytime and consider it a GREAT HONOR! It is so cool to develop your Woods Eyes, and that fine tuning to look for the details. Sitting motionless is so opposed to the stimuli we usually receive everyday!

I feel so connected out there!

Great Great Post! and what an awesome Poem...Thanks for sharing!


Click, :-)

John

Randy said...

Nice poem. Those two were posing so perfect for you.

Diane AZ said...

Gorgeous frogs and thank you so much for sharing the lovely poem. :)