Friday, June 8, 2012

I was pedaling up a hill when his hand pressed against my back. Earlier in my marriage I might have been warmed by his show of devotion and willingness to help me up the hard climb, but instead I found myself annoyed.

"I can do it!" I quipped through my effort.

And his hand dropped away, and my back grew cold, and the climb was harder than I had thought.



Standing in a roomful of men I noticed that his hair had grayed; his strong shoulders were thin and bent in a kind of fog; his kind eyes sad and tired. I slipped my hand in his but rather than quipping a declaration of self-sufficiency, he stood a little straighter and spoke a little clearer.

Next time I will surely wish his hand back.

11 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Very lovely thought and experience to share.I will share this thought with a few today.

Anonymous said...

Human touch is magical.

Ola said...

this was very intimate and very sincer and... very true!


Blog about life and travelling
Blog about cooking

penny said...

Regrets.. I've had a few myself, Ali.
Give time, time.. it heals most words and deeds.
Hugs and smiles across the miles ~:)

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. His hand signified his love and concern for you. Hold onto that. Your Mom

Michael Rowland said...

I'm glad you're back,,,M

Inger said...

What a lovely post. And thanks for your visit today, I am glad you have a memory of you grandmother. It surprises me how many blogger friends I have with some Swedish in them.

Kate @ Daffodils said...

This made me tear up. What a special realization.

MarmePurl said...

Love grows Love.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Lovely to have you back bloggging again Allison
with your special words and photos.


x

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

We have all done something like that at one time or another. It's what living each day, good and bad is all about.