Saturday, June 9, 2012

My grandfather was a practical man.

I didn't know him well, but in my mind is a long tale of how I imagine he might have been. I shall keep it that way, for I want to believe he was grand.



I was recently given the treasure of a lifetime - his Bible! It arrived in the mail yesterday, duct taped, scotch taped, stapled together with years of use. As I pulled it from its wrappings, the scent of mystery embraced me and I was eager to open its pages and hunt for hints of what the man I have longed to love was like.



Throughout are markings, dates, of what I can only assume are readings. He must have read it at least five times as far as I can tell. Nearly every page is dated with some erased memory that was important to him.

I saw my name and birth date, my sisters' and brothers' names and birth dates; I touched them with my finger as my hand rested where his would have when he wrote them in. I imagined his brow furrowing as he tried to remember how to spell "Allison"...which ultimately he spelled with a "y" rather than an "i". My son was quick to point that out as he peered over my shoulder, but I shooed him away with my hand. "He was an immigrant! How could he have known?"



And then, as I reached and groped for his presence in the ancient book, I came upon the last page scribbled with meaningful Bible verses, but also a short list. A list much more akin to the granddaughter searching for him two generations later; a common thread that made me laugh out loud in my tiny kitchen.

Dry Gas in Oil Barrel
Take off Snow Tires
Fix Tail Pipe

Each crossed off as undoubtedly he had accomplished them later on.

Grandpa... you were not paying attention to the message! We were not so different after all! For in my heart, religion is not about duty or emotion or protocol. In my heart it is about life; and in the midst of worshiping a Holy God, there is the grunt and sweat of reality. God, I have no doubt, understands the human plight.

I am my grandfather's granddaughter, indeed.



A bit of someone's hair, actually three bits of hair in different places: two blond, one brown. I wonder...



And as I close the pages, I sigh a happy sigh. The man I was looking for was more thoughtful and quirkier than I could have hoped - and what I had wished for, that link that would prove my lineage, I found.

17 comments:

Nancy said...

A treasure. I really didn't know my grandparents on either side.

penny said...

What a true blessing your grandfather left without even knowing the precious gift he gave you, Ali.
Happiness to you and yours.
xo

TexWisGirl said...

that is really cool - especially the 'to-do list' :)

penny said...

I forgot to mention that it twas not I in the photo, it was my sister Sandy sitting next my dear fisherman.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

What a wonderful gift Allison.

I loved the fact that he had your birthday's and bits of hair in there too.

Lovely


x

lindasinklings said...

Beautiful, beautiful. I love that he spelled your name with a 'y' and that Elias was concerned. Marvelous bit of whimsy. And the list. I myself, make too many lists when I should be listening...it is in the blood perhaps?

Ola said...

this is a real treasure!This is incredible, I wish I read the whole Bible at least once in my life...


Blog about life and travelling
Blog about cooking

MarmePurl said...

For several years I worked in a museum archiving and preserving donated family treasures as this. I processed many letters, diaries and family Bibles. You can only imagine how much I became entrenched in the lives of the writters, yet always a bit sad that I, a stranger was the reader. I am VERY HAPPY your treasure remains with family.

Meg said...

Oh what a precious, amazing gift. My heart rejoices for you! This is just beautiful. (hugs)

Randy said...

Wonderful post and photos.

Out on the prairie said...

A beautiful treasure,I love to look through this info

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful treasure! I so enjoyed this post.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

What a wonderful gift this bible of your grandfathers is. Family treasures are always the best.

Kate @ Daffodils said...

This is amazing. What a special treasure. It makes me want to start marking up my bible for my future grandchildren. Love your take on religion.

Southern Lady said...

Beautiful post, my friend! -Carla

Neesie said...

What a wonderful treasure Allison. Finding details and belongings from our ancestors is priceless.
I'm thinking that today's blogs are going to be tomorrow's precious gifts to our future generations.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am so happy for you, this is such an amazing gift. You will be able to share with your children also. Your Grandfather was a wise man to save those tiny bits of memories for generations to come. Love your writing style. B