Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Last week we went strawberry picking in the hot, blazing sun. Each of us took a basket for our little cueillette, and for some reason darling-hulking-Russian was handed the kiddie basket, although no one can remember exactly why.



When you pick strawberries at this local farm, you hand them your basket to be weighed before you begin. I was first in line and submitted my big maternal basket - the mother-ship of berry picking - the little girls were next with their medium-sized plastic blue ones, and hubby brought up the rear, handing over a basket that was light years too small for his amazonian frame.



He approached me in the fields:

"Why did you hand me this tiny doll basket? The ladies at the counter were laughing at me and I couldn't figure out why! This is man-abuse!"

He's talking, but I'm thinking... look at the hotty with those massive shoulders!



The second time around, I took little darling and we picked in the pouring rain and hot sun by turn, the clothes drying on our backs after each "rinsing".



The sky was fiercely beautiful...



The result of all this berry-patching is fifteen jars of jam and a freezer full of sweet delight.

14 comments:

Ola said...

this was a real beginning of summer-and the basket was really small, I almost can undrstand why men can object using them:)

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Your too funny Allison. What a good husband you have. The strawberries look delicious and I bet your jam will be also. I love the little green boots peeking out by the basket.

Judy said...

Oh, I can't wait to pick strawberries again. I have only a couple of jars left of jam from last years picking. We planted 500 strawberry plants here, but they won't be ready for picking until next year.

Joe said...

That's just not right giving hubby the small basket ;). Note to self...don't go strawberry pickin' with Allison :).

Nancy said...

Haha! Hey, it's good for them -- next time, put your purse in his other hand. ;)

Out on the prairie said...

Yum, I pick mine mostly at the store. I got 4 lbs for five bucks and was berry happy.

Sarah said...

Coucou !
MOi aussi, j'y suis allée samedi, et plus grand chose. Maintenant je sais pourquoi, tu avais tout pris ;-).
Supeeeeeerbes photos !!!! Bravo !
Gros bisous
Sarah

Changes in the wind said...

A family that picks together...stays together:) A great day.

TexWisGirl said...

oh that is too cute! poor Russian! :)

LBB said...

Too funny! LOL on Nancys comment :)

YUM on the strawberries! I just made strawberry rhubarb jam last week. Makes me feel like summer is really here :)

Meg said...

LOL! Oh your poor man. That's hilarious! Sounds like your brain and mine think the same about our hubbies... "What? I can't hear your, your bulging muscles are too loud..." ;)

Randy said...

What a great outing. Loving those green shoes in the last shot!

Anonymous said...

"Why did you hand me this tiny doll basket? The ladies at the counter were laughing at me and I couldn't figure out why! This is man-abuse!"


I couldn't help but giggle a bit after reading his quote!

Beautiful photos, Allison. It looks like a wonderful strawberry-picking kind of day!

(Hoping you'll show us a photo of some of those jars of jam!)
:)

Southern Lady said...

Those look great! They don't look big and pumped full of fertilizer and pesticides like those grown over here! Carla