Friday, September 30, 2011

I took a morning hike through the hollow with a friend who knows every nook and cranny of this countryside. She is the Ferrari of hiking, notching top speeds as I huff and puff behind her, trying to keep up. It is always invigorating.



But what I love most about this friend is her utter disregard for things temporal: she loves you just the way you are, and despite what mess you get yourself into or how much complaining you do, despite the way you walk or don't walk, she carries on at your side.



If you step in a cow pie with this friend, you don't even stop and say anything. She doesn't notice - so you just trek on. It sprays up your calf and runs down your leg that is bleeding from tramping through a thorny forest, and you just travel on. When you get home you expect there to be cowpats all over your body, but though you wash your shoes in the garden hose and take a shower, you are always surprised to see that most of it fell away while you were hiking ... at her side.

Real friendship will do that; friendship makes the dung just melt away.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merci pour cette amitié précieuse et belle.
Une amitié tel que nous sommes, avec nos forces et nos faiblesses, une amitié naturelle, sans adjonction!
vivi

PJ van Zyl said...

Great to have friends like that
enjoy the weekend

MarmePurl said...

I think I need to walk in that beautiful spot.

Joe said...

Wow! Looks like a great place to hike.

Judy said...

Oh wow, I wish I could have joined you.

Out on the prairie said...

A friend shared with me that cow patty splatting was a regular childhood fun event for her family. Lovely area, wish I was there.

penny said...

A true friend indeed.. you are both luck to have that kind of friendship, Alli.
Love your photo! I enjoyed hiking along.. I'm not even tired :D
xo,
Pamiam

TexWisGirl said...

you are lucky to have each other. :)

Raindrops and Daisies said...

You are very lucky to have such a lovely friendship,
I hope it lasts for years and years.

Your photos are brilliant and the place looks fantastic for hiking, glad that you enjoyed it.

Happy Friday

x Fiona

Ola said...

definitely a nice traveller companion and a good friend!

Meg said...

"Friendship makes the dung just melt away." Best. Quote. Ever. Hahahaha. :D

Ben said...

"friendship makes the dung just melt away". Yes, it is very true! Happy weekend Allison!

Oak Creek Ranch said...

You are so right. True friends do make the dung melt away.

Nancy said...

Well if that isn't a Hallmark card, I don't know what is... ;) So glad you have someone to tromp through the dung with.

Randy said...

That's the way I feel about all my blogger friends. They make the dung of the day just disappear.

Dawn said...

I need a friend like that.
Looks like a wonderful hike...wish I could have gone!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It doesn't matter the quantity of friends you have, what matters is the quality of friendships as you have posted, Allison.

DCAja said...

very nice.. post!