Monday, July 22, 2013

I caught you long ago and held you as you flapped your wings inside my cupped hands. You getting ready to fly - me supporting you as you did. And then one day, the beating grew stronger, the sting more acute as you fought to soar.

So I opened my hands, and away you went.



I have been watching you fly from where I stand on the graveled road; from the place you last walked with me. I have been proud of the circles you make in the sky; of the applause of all the other butterflies as they adore you.

But know this. I will still be watching even when you are too far to see. Here where I am - on the ground.

7 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I feel this way about my kids. Maybe that is what you were really writing about. You have such an amazing way with words.

Nancy said...

Near or far, some friends are unforgettable. xo

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh this is beautiful Allison. B

MarmePurl said...


I am reminded of a poem I have sitting by my bedside at the farmhouse sent to me by a special someone...

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice, a supreme beauty surrounds you

TexWisGirl said...

i know you will do this for your children, too.

Kim said...

Reminded me of when my son let his first falcon go. Beautiful moment. Beautiful words.