Thursday, May 5, 2011

As I pass by typical farmhouses in the Franches Montagnes, I am reminded of Seamus Heaney and the poignant insight that stems from his rural upbringing.

Scaffolding:



Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that planks won’t slip at busy points,
Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job’s done
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be
Old bridges breaking between you and me

Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall
Confident that we have built our wall.

12 comments:

Liesl said...

Lovely words to start the day with! Thanks Alisson.

Judy said...

That farmhouse is so different then the ones that are here in the US. This one is beautiful.

TexWisGirl said...

what an amazing home!!! sprawling, yet height too!

(loved the poem)

Out on the prairie said...

Looks like a house and barn all in one.

Meg said...

Beautiful poem - and gorgeous farm house!

Dawn said...

So loving these words today!!!!!!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Beautiful everything today Allison!!

LBB said...

I have to agree with the above comment...beautiful everything! I wonder what the inside looks like? :)

Carole Barkett said...

great poem and wonderful barn

Randy said...

I love his poetry but I love that house more.

Michael Rowland said...

Happy Mothers Day !!!

penny said...

Happy Mothers Day , Allison.

If you have a strong foundation, your walls will stand the test of time.

be well, be happy :)
hugs,
Pam